This module has been deprecated by its author since Jan 16th 2019.
The author has suggested puppetlabs-aws as its replacement.
Start using this module
Puppet Cloud Provisioner
Puppet Module to launch and manage Cloud instances.
This module requires Puppet 2.7.2 or later.
Please report any problems you have with the Cloud Provisioner module in the project page issue tracker at:
Building the Module
The Puppet Module Tool may be used to build an installable package of this Puppet Module.
$ puppet-module build ============================================================== Building /Users/jeff/src/modules/cloud-provisioner for release -------------------------------------------------------------- Done. Built: pkg/puppetlabs-cloud-provisioner-0.0.1git-95-g6541187.tar.gz
To install the packaged module:
$ cd <modulepath> (usually /etc/puppet/modules) $ puppet-module install ~/src/modules/cloud-provisioner/pkg/puppetlabs-cloud-provisioner-0.0.1git-95-g6541187.tar.gz Installed "puppetlabs-cloud-provisioner-0.0.1git-95-g6541187.tar.gz" into directory: cloud-provisioner
Thu Sep 26 2013 Matthaus Owens 1.1.4
zoneargument optional for listing GCE instances
Thu Sep 26 2013 Matthaus Owens 1.1.3
- Expand tildes in key path before testing for existence
Tue Sep 24 2013 Moses Mendoza 1.1.1
google_compute_enginessh key by default
- Make GCE image search list comma separated
Fri Sep 20 2013 Moses Mendoza 1.1.0
sshaction to help ssh in to instances
- Implement bootstrapping of nodes with the GCE face.
- Extract "payload" options from other CloudPack install options
- Extract common options into a procedural library
- Move create operation in the file
- Implement SSH key / account support at create time
useraction to manage ssh key metadata
deleteoperation for instances
- Implement basic
createoperation for instances
listoperation for instances
- Add initial GCE support: Google API authentication
google-api-clientto the Gemfile
Thu Sep 12 2013 Melissa Stone 1.0.9
- PE-1178: --security-group option handling improvements
- PE-1504: drop ruby 1.8.7 and add ruby 2.0.0 to the projects's travis-ci matrix
- PE-838: default to installing PE during bootstrap
- PE-838: update rspec syntax to kill deprecation warnings
- PE-838: update tests for the change in the install script default
- PE-838: default to installing PE during bootstrap
- PE-1504: drop ruby 1.8.7 and add ruby 2.0.0 to the projects's travis-ci matrix
- PE-1178: updated tests for the --security-group option handling
- PE-1178: --security-group option handling improvements
- PE-830: update doc of puppet node install --installer-payload option
Mon Aug 05 2013 Matthaus Owens 1.0.8
- PE-834, PE-424: remove extra whitespace
- PE-834, PE-424: remove unused test code pieces
- PE-834, PE-424: update tests for changes in Puppet::CloudPack.http_request
- PE-834, PE-424: fixes for Cloud Provisioner PE console interaction
Thu May 30 2013 Matthaus Owens 1.0.7
- Config both 'main' and 'dependencies' apt repos
- PE-246: remove advice about security implications of environment variables
- PE-243: update copyright years in Cloud Provisioner
- PE-242: remove obsolete local AWS type validation
- PE-247: SSL for ENC communication is now on, and mandatory
- PE-239: Cloud Provisioner has unused, obsolete
Tue May 07 2013 Moses Mendoza 1.0.6
- retry ssh when Errno::ENETUNREACH is encountered
- return stdout from executed scripts to install method
- Update options to Fog key mappings
- Rename option names to match existing convention
- Fix ProgressBar spec failure
- (#15165) Fix error --tags already defined in puppet
- Fixup rspec warning, s/should/to/
- Add Travis CI configuration
- Add Gemfile to make contributions easier
- allow retry_action to catch a list of exception names as strings (attached to #16020)
- allow retry_action to catch a list of exception names, not just exception classes (attached to #16020)
- fix failing retry_action tests, lower timeout in tests so they run faster (but still pass)
- added support for m1.medium
Wed Jul 19 2012 Moses Mendoza 1.0.5
- Update apt repository location.
- (#13913) removing out of date content
2012-04-11 - Loren A. Linden Levy firstname.lastname@example.org - 1.0.4
- need dependencies now too (3ceea56)
- need puppet version in community template (37add07)
- changed repo location see http://yum.puppetlabs.com/base/README.txt (796646f)
Fri Apr 20 2012 Jeff McCune email@example.com - 1.0.3 (maint) Fix Module metadata. The name is cloud_provisioner not cloud-provisioner
Fri Mar 23 2012 Michael Stahnke firstname.lastname@example.org - v1.0.2 (#13095) Add fedora support to puppet-community. (#12717) Don't append to answers file if puppet agent certname already present (#12499) Watch for error states during instance creation (#12352) Reset Fog::Compute::AWS::Mock objects (#7220) Refactor to use default_to for option defaults (#12229) Make setting Created-By tag optional (#12228) Add endpoint option to creation of fog compute (#12267) Make filter for termination configurable (#12225) Define connection options in their own methods (#11324 and #11323) Properly validate tags and facts input (#11304) Add custom tag support (#10235) Add keyname to list of attributes (#10971) Adding --facts options for install action (#10871) Added spec test for Fog credentials (#11015) Retry on failed auth for slow provisions (#10871) Allow alternate fog credentials (#10189) Add AWS availability zone option -- Adds the ability to create instances in specific AWS availability zones within a region
Mon Nov 07 2011 Michael Stahnke email@example.com - v1.0.0
(#10197) Add HTTP authentication to classify action
(#10377) Fix backtrace in classify when connection refused
(maint) Update doc strings for classify action
(#10377) Add spec test for --enc-ssl option
(#10377) Change classify spec to use let memos
(#10377) Add --enc-ssl option and https support to classify action
(#10184) Fix 2 failing specs for CP installer method
(#8676) Catch the Errno::EHOSTUNREACH exception and retry
(#10184) Fixing failing spec test
(#10184) Adding a new puppet-community install script
(#10181) Default puppetagent-certname to random guid plus node dns name
(#10206) Use exception class as key
(#10172) Use the Puppet::CloudProvisioner::Utils#retry_action method
(#10178) Use the Puppet::CloudPack::Utils#retry_action method
(#10171) Refactor the
retry_action + unit tests
Adding a new
(#10042) Add enc-server/enc-port optoins
(#10057) Fix failing unit tests
(#10057) Pass keyfile to the ssh_remote_execute
(#10061) Test correct certname is used in bootstrap action
(#10062) Fix certificate signing
(#10061) Fix certname used for classification by bootstrap
(#10059) Handle nodes post to dashboard response
Adding Rakefile to create release tarballs
Mon Oct 10 2011 Michael Stahnke firstname.lastname@example.org - v0.6.0rc2
- Fill in license template
- (#9805) Ensure tempfiles do not get garbage collected
- (#9781) Add test coverage for dashboard classify
- (#9670) Check if node groups are already assigned to nodes
- (#9681) Fail if the specified node group does not exist
- (#9679) Check if node exists before creating
- (#9621) Return the puppet agent certname to the user
- (#9563) Retry when Errno::ETIMEDOUT is encountered.
- (#9778) Log no classification method selected by default
- (#9699) Fix keyname option
- (#9621) Fix misuse of --certname option in install action
- (#9621) Install Puppet Enterprise using HTTP get
- (#9621) Add logic for install payload to handle remote urls
- (#9590) Add ProgressBar class to draw progress bars
- (#9608) Ensure --keyfile agent is always a downcase value
- (#9618) PE script should accept any tar
- (#9608) Add ssh-agent support via --keyfile=agent
- (maint) Update watchr autotest script with growl
- (#9585)(UX) Add list_keynames action, rename keypair to keyname
- Remove UTF-8 characters in comments causing error: invalid multibyte char (US-ASCII)
- (#9581) Node_aws actions should require face
- (#9536) Explicitly catch tcp connection resets.
- (#9426) Add acceptance tests
- (#9510) Increase timeout wrapped around ssh
- (#9442) Fixup puppet node_aws list example output
- (#9442) Rename EC2 specific actions to node_aws subcommand
- (#8184) update spec test to work with Fog v0.11.0
- (#9048) Update tests to expand path
- Whitespace only change.
- (#8706) Fix spec tests of option validation
2011-07-20 Jeff McCune email@example.com - v0.6.0rc1
- Initial public release
- Add --type option to launch different EC2 instance sizes
- (#7510) Add inline documentation for actions and options
- (#8286) Warn if the payload used with the install action is not a tar.gz file
- (#8265) Make the platform flag optional and default to 'AWS' (Note, puppet-provisioner provisions AWS EC2 instances in this release)
- (#7511) Add the ability to launch instances in any EC2 region using the --region option. The default region is us-east-1
- (#8157) Improve the feedback of the terminate action by explicitly stating the instance has been terminated.
- (#8185) Add a list action to list EC2 instances and their current status.
- (#8343) Print the EC2 instance public DNS name as soon as it is available
- (#8350) Change all output to use Puppet's configured log destination
- (#8348) Add a fingerprint action to make a best effort to obtain the SSH public host key fingerprint from the launched EC2 instance.
- (#7508) Add the ability to install Puppet using rubygems on a target system.
- (#7508) Improve the install action using template scripts to install Puppet on launched systems.
- (#8403) Replace dependency on uuidgen Mac OS X executable with guid gem.
- (#8422) Catch the exit status of installation script and display an error if they're non zero.
- (#8204) Include a puppet enterprise install script that downloads from S3. This should improve install times on low bandwidth connections.
- (#8472) Add support for non-root logins when installing puppet on a target system.
- (#8493) Rename cloudpack to cloud-provisioner
- (#8513) Make puppet classification of node optional
- (#8501) Improve the robustness of SSH connections to the target system
- (#8517) Add ability to install Puppet Dashboard on the target system
2011-06-29 Jeff McCune firstname.lastname@example.org - 0.0.1
- Initial tag. This is not an official release.
Apache License Version 2.0, January 2004 http://www.apache.org/licenses/ TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR USE, REPRODUCTION, AND DISTRIBUTION 1. Definitions. "License" shall mean the terms and conditions for use, reproduction, and distribution as defined by Sections 1 through 9 of this document. "Licensor" shall mean the copyright owner or entity authorized by the copyright owner that is granting the License. "Legal Entity" shall mean the union of the acting entity and all other entities that control, are controlled by, or are under common control with that entity. For the purposes of this definition, "control" means (i) the power, direct or indirect, to cause the direction or management of such entity, whether by contract or otherwise, or (ii) ownership of fifty percent (50%) or more of the outstanding shares, or (iii) beneficial ownership of such entity. "You" (or "Your") shall mean an individual or Legal Entity exercising permissions granted by this License. "Source" form shall mean the preferred form for making modifications, including but not limited to software source code, documentation source, and configuration files. "Object" form shall mean any form resulting from mechanical transformation or translation of a Source form, including but not limited to compiled object code, generated documentation, and conversions to other media types. "Work" shall mean the work of authorship, whether in Source or Object form, made available under the License, as indicated by a copyright notice that is included in or attached to the work (an example is provided in the Appendix below). "Derivative Works" shall mean any work, whether in Source or Object form, that is based on (or derived from) the Work and for which the editorial revisions, annotations, elaborations, or other modifications represent, as a whole, an original work of authorship. For the purposes of this License, Derivative Works shall not include works that remain separable from, or merely link (or bind by name) to the interfaces of, the Work and Derivative Works thereof. "Contribution" shall mean any work of authorship, including the original version of the Work and any modifications or additions to that Work or Derivative Works thereof, that is intentionally submitted to Licensor for inclusion in the Work by the copyright owner or by an individual or Legal Entity authorized to submit on behalf of the copyright owner. For the purposes of this definition, "submitted" means any form of electronic, verbal, or written communication sent to the Licensor or its representatives, including but not limited to communication on electronic mailing lists, source code control systems, and issue tracking systems that are managed by, or on behalf of, the Licensor for the purpose of discussing and improving the Work, but excluding communication that is conspicuously marked or otherwise designated in writing by the copyright owner as "Not a Contribution." "Contributor" shall mean Licensor and any individual or Legal Entity on behalf of whom a Contribution has been received by Licensor and subsequently incorporated within the Work. 2. Grant of Copyright License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, each Contributor hereby grants to You a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable copyright license to reproduce, prepare Derivative Works of, publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute the Work and such Derivative Works in Source or Object form. 3. Grant of Patent License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, each Contributor hereby grants to You a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable (except as stated in this section) patent license to make, have made, use, offer to sell, sell, import, and otherwise transfer the Work, where such license applies only to those patent claims licensable by such Contributor that are necessarily infringed by their Contribution(s) alone or by combination of their Contribution(s) with the Work to which such Contribution(s) was submitted. If You institute patent litigation against any entity (including a cross-claim or counterclaim in a lawsuit) alleging that the Work or a Contribution incorporated within the Work constitutes direct or contributory patent infringement, then any patent licenses granted to You under this License for that Work shall terminate as of the date such litigation is filed. 4. Redistribution. You may reproduce and distribute copies of the Work or Derivative Works thereof in any medium, with or without modifications, and in Source or Object form, provided that You meet the following conditions: (a) You must give any other recipients of the Work or Derivative Works a copy of this License; and (b) You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices stating that You changed the files; and (c) You must retain, in the Source form of any Derivative Works that You distribute, all copyright, patent, trademark, and attribution notices from the Source form of the Work, excluding those notices that do not pertain to any part of the Derivative Works; and (d) If the Work includes a "NOTICE" text file as part of its distribution, then any Derivative Works that You distribute must include a readable copy of the attribution notices contained within such NOTICE file, excluding those notices that do not pertain to any part of the Derivative Works, in at least one of the following places: within a NOTICE text file distributed as part of the Derivative Works; within the Source form or documentation, if provided along with the Derivative Works; or, within a display generated by the Derivative Works, if and wherever such third-party notices normally appear. The contents of the NOTICE file are for informational purposes only and do not modify the License. You may add Your own attribution notices within Derivative Works that You distribute, alongside or as an addendum to the NOTICE text from the Work, provided that such additional attribution notices cannot be construed as modifying the License. You may add Your own copyright statement to Your modifications and may provide additional or different license terms and conditions for use, reproduction, or distribution of Your modifications, or for any such Derivative Works as a whole, provided Your use, reproduction, and distribution of the Work otherwise complies with the conditions stated in this License. 5. Submission of Contributions. Unless You explicitly state otherwise, any Contribution intentionally submitted for inclusion in the Work by You to the Licensor shall be under the terms and conditions of this License, without any additional terms or conditions. Notwithstanding the above, nothing herein shall supersede or modify the terms of any separate license agreement you may have executed with Licensor regarding such Contributions. 6. Trademarks. This License does not grant permission to use the trade names, trademarks, service marks, or product names of the Licensor, except as required for reasonable and customary use in describing the origin of the Work and reproducing the content of the NOTICE file. 7. Disclaimer of Warranty. Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, Licensor provides the Work (and each Contributor provides its Contributions) on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied, including, without limitation, any warranties or conditions of TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY, or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. You are solely responsible for determining the appropriateness of using or redistributing the Work and assume any risks associated with Your exercise of permissions under this License. 8. Limitation of Liability. In no event and under no legal theory, whether in tort (including negligence), contract, or otherwise, unless required by applicable law (such as deliberate and grossly negligent acts) or agreed to in writing, shall any Contributor be liable to You for damages, including any direct, indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages of any character arising as a result of this License or out of the use or inability to use the Work (including but not limited to damages for loss of goodwill, work stoppage, computer failure or malfunction, or any and all other commercial damages or losses), even if such Contributor has been advised of the possibility of such damages. 9. Accepting Warranty or Additional Liability. While redistributing the Work or Derivative Works thereof, You may choose to offer, and charge a fee for, acceptance of support, warranty, indemnity, or other liability obligations and/or rights consistent with this License. However, in accepting such obligations, You may act only on Your own behalf and on Your sole responsibility, not on behalf of any other Contributor, and only if You agree to indemnify, defend, and hold each Contributor harmless for any liability incurred by, or claims asserted against, such Contributor by reason of your accepting any such warranty or additional liability. END OF TERMS AND CONDITIONS APPENDIX: How to apply the Apache License to your work. To apply the Apache License to your work, attach the following boilerplate notice, with the fields enclosed by brackets "" replaced with your own identifying information. (Don't include the brackets!) The text should be enclosed in the appropriate comment syntax for the file format. We also recommend that a file or class name and description of purpose be included on the same "printed page" as the copyright notice for easier identification within third-party archives. Copyright 2011-2013 Puppet Labs Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.