gnome is a Puppet module that installs and manages a GNOME 2 or 3 installation.
This module is a component of the System Integrity Management Platform a compliance-management framework built on Puppet.
If you find any issues, they may be submitted to our bug tracker.
This module is optimally designed for use within a larger SIMP ecosystem, but it can be used independently:
- When included within the SIMP ecosystem, security compliance settings will be managed from the Puppet server.
- If used independently, all SIMP-managed security subsystems are disabled by default and must be explicitly opted into by administrators. See simp_options for more detail.
To use the module with default settings, just include the class:
You can disable configuration of gnome by setting
gnome::configure to false.
The module will then only install Gnome.
This module makes heavy use of data. The
gconf settings are all
data-driven, and the defaults can be seen in the
You can use the knockout prefix of
-- in front of a key to remove it from the
Hash, like this:
gnome::dconf_hash: simp_gnome: --org/gnome/settings-daemon/plugins/media-keys: org/gnome/desktop/media-handling: --automount-open:
Or you can simply set it to the desired value.
Dconf settings are locked by default so that users can't change them.
This can be disabled on a per setting basis, like in this entry for wallpaper
gnome::dconf_hash: simp_gnome: org/gnome/desktop/background: picture-uri: value: file:///usr/local/corp/puppies.jpg lock: false
See the API documentation
puppet strings for full details.
SIMP Puppet modules are generally intended for use on Red Hat Enterprise Linux and compatible distributions, such as CentOS.
Please see the
metadata.json file for the most up-to-date
list of supported operating systems, Puppet versions, and module dependencies.
This module is compatible with GDM v2, v3.
Please read our [Contribution Guide] (https://simp.readthedocs.io/en/stable/contributors_guide/index.html)
- Thu Jul 23 2020 Jeanne Greulich firstname.lastname@example.org - 8.1.2-0
- update the upper bound of simplib for SIMP 6.5 release
- Thu Aug 15 2019 Trevor Vaughan email@example.com - 8.1.1-0
- Fix compliance engine tests
- Thu Jun 06 2019 Steven Pritchard firstname.lastname@example.org - 8.1.0-0
- Add v2 compliance_markup data
- Thu Mar 07 2019 Liz Nemsick email@example.com - 8.0.1-0
- Update the upper bound of stdlib to < 6.0.0
- Update a URL in the README.md
- Fri Sep 07 2018 Liz Nemsick firstname.lastname@example.org - 8.0.0-0
- Update Hiera 4 to Hiera 5
- Fri May 18 2018 Trevor Vaughan email@example.com - 8.0.0-0
- Removed all GDM and Dconf settings - BREAKING
- Dconf has been moved to its own module
- Ensure that all settings are 100% GNOME specific
- Fixed a typo in the
automount-neverwas specified instead of
- Add support for OEL and Puppet 5
- Wed Sep 20 2017 Liz Nemsick firstname.lastname@example.org - 7.0.1-0
- Add libxkbcommon-x11 to required package list for CentOS/RedHat 7.4.
- Remove unnecessary CentOS data-in-module files. The OS family fact for CentOS is RedHat, so these files are not used.
- Mon Jun 05 2017 Nick Miller email@example.com - 7.0.0-0
- module was rewritten
- takes advantage of the data in modules paradigm
- has a single point of entry
- packages now default to 'installed' or the package_ensure catalyst from simp_options
- deprecated in favor of gnome::config::dconf
- this class is now a temporary shim to ensure backwards compatibility
- allows setting more than one key/value pair (only one could be set in dconf::add)
- class name is not a verb
- dconf settings controlled by this class can be modified in data, including removing default settings
- Thu May 04 2017 Nick Miller firstname.lastname@example.org - 6.0.3-0
- Moved the simp dconf profile below the user profile so users can change their own settings in the desktop
- Confine puppet version in metadata.json
- Thu Apr 27 2017 Jeanne Greulich email@example.com - 6.0.3-0
- Add dconf rule to not display user lists
- Mon Apr 17 2017 Nick Miller firstname.lastname@example.org - 6.0.3-0
- Updated polkit setting to use the new defined type from the polkit module
- Added polkit dependency
dconf updateexecs now catch failures
- Mon Mar 15 2017 Jeanne Greulich email@example.com - 6.0.2-0
- Fixed packages lists
- Fixed screensaver logic
- gconf type was not getting values correctly
- Tue Feb 21 2017 Nick Miller firstname.lastname@example.org - 6.0.1-0
- Added check for gdm_version before it's used
- Tue Dec 13 2016 Liz Nemsick email@example.com - 6.0.0-0
- Added strong typing of parameters
- Thu Dec 01 2016 Nick Markowski firstname.lastname@example.org - 6.0.0-0
- Renamed module from 'windowmanager' to 'gnome'
- Wed Nov 23 2016 Jeanne Greulich email@example.com - 5.0.0-0
- Fix dependancies for simp 6 bump
- Mon Nov 21 2016 Chris Tessmer firstname.lastname@example.org - 5.0.0-0
- Updated to compliance_markup version 2
- Mon Nov 21 2016 Liz Nemsick email@example.com - 4.1.4-0
- Include gconf type removed from xwindows project.
- Thu Jul 28 2016 Trevor Vaughan firstname.lastname@example.org - 4.1.2-0
- Corrected the scope include syntax
- Tue Jun 7 2016 Ralph Wright email@example.com - 4.1.1-0
- Added dconf support
- Added security settings using dconf
- Tue Mar 01 2016 Ralph Wright firstname.lastname@example.org - 4.1.0-3
- Added compliance function support
- Fri Jan 16 2015 Trevor Vaughan email@example.com - 4.1.0-2
- Changed puppet-server requirement to puppet
- Tue Sep 30 2014 Nick Markowski firstname.lastname@example.org - 4.1.0-1
- Updated for RHEL7
- Thu Mar 20 2014 Nick Markowski email@example.com - 4.1.0-0
- Updated for puppet3/hiera and added rspec tests
- Wed Oct 02 2013 Trevor Vaughan firstname.lastname@example.org - 4.0.0-6
- Use 'versioncmp' for all version comparisons.
- Fri May 03 2013 Nick Markowski email@example.com 4.0.0-5
- Added pupmod-mozilla as a dependency
- Tue Dec 11 2012 Maintenance 4.0.0-4
- Created a Cucumber test to ensure that windowmanager install correctly from the windowmanager module with all dependencies.
- Fri May 25 2012 Maintenance 4.0.0-3
- Added a windowmanager::gnome::sec class that is included by default and provides some common security settings via gconf.
- Moved mit-tests to /usr/share/simp...
- Updated pp files to better meet Puppet's recommended style guide.
- Fri Mar 02 2012 Maintenance 4.0.0-2
- Improved test stubs.
- Mon Dec 26 2011 Maintenance 4.0.0-1
- Updated the spec file to not require a separate file list.
- Wed Nov 02 2011 Maintenance 4.0.0-0
- Updated to handle RHEL6
- Tue Jan 11 2011 Maintenance 2.0.0-0
- Refactored for SIMP-2.0.0-alpha release
- Tue Oct 26 2010 Maintenance - 1-1
- Converting all spec files to check for directories prior to copy.
- Mon May 24 2010 Maintenance 1.0-0
- Code refactoring.
- Thu Oct 1 2009 Maintenance 0.1-0
- Initial Release
pupmod-simp-gnome - A Puppet Module for managing GNOME -- Per Section 105 of the Copyright Act of 1976, these works are not entitled to domestic copyright protection under US Federal law. The US Government retains the right to pursue copyright protections outside of the United States. The United States Government has unlimited rights in this software and all derivatives thereof, pursuant to the contracts under which it was developed and the License under which it falls. --- Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.